Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Back in the game!

After a long week dealing with health issues, my dad and I are back in the game. There were a few scares in there, but we're all doing just fine.

Now, back to the food. And I have one word, Sushi! I've wanted to try authentic Japanese sushi for years, but living in the UP you can't get a decent Japanese, or Chinese, meal to save your life, so my father and I are taking that into our own hands.

I don't know a lot about sushi, but I think it's interesting. So, I researched it, intensely, I want the best sushi, ever. Not some nasty fish guts.

Sushi began as a method of preserving fish, but soon changed into an interesting dining experience. In its earliest form, dried fish was placed between two pieces of vinegared rice as a way of making it last. Seaweed, or nori, was added later so people's fingers wouldn't get sticky. The word sushi refers to the rice, the Japanese word 'su' means vinegar and 'shi' is from meshi, the Japanese word for rice, so basically, sushi is 'vinegared rice.' But as time has went on sushi went from meaning 'vinegared rice,' into the colorful and distinct pieces of edible art we see today.

I cannot wait to try this! Wish me luck. :)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I love Sushi! Enjoy!!!!

Anonymous said...

Did your dad ever eat sushi when he was overseas? Sushi made in America is really good, but I wonder if it's prepared the same way all over.

Jessica said...

He did get to eat sushi when he was overseas and he loved it. But, my mother and brother are so picky, therefore we never get to try things like this. My little experiment has given us the chance though! He's not sure of the preparation overseas, but he assumes that it's a lot better in the origin than over here.

Dana R.B. said...

I heart california rolls! I definately suggest trying that your first time eating sushi and if you want to get adventurous try the "eel nigiri." Its eel broiled with wasabi-teryaki galze. Its at Temaki and Tea. Good luck!

Amber K. said...

Sushi (like that at Tamaki and Tea) is authentic. It was developed near the end of the Edo Period in Japan so that the food could be taken with you "on the go" as it were.

jepascoe said...

Mmmmm, I miss sushi a lot!! Have fun with it!